A new Coast to Coast information board
was unveiled at St. Bees on Sunday 26th May 2013 at 10am ..... more
The Wainwright Society Coast to Coast Challenge
takes place from 4th to the 25th of May 2013 ..... more
The 2013 Wainwright Memorial Lecture
is to be held on Saturday 28th September 2013 at the Rheged Centre, Penrith with the guest speaker being Rory Stewart M.P. Tickets are now on sale from Rheged ..... more
Coast to Coast on the Ravenber Way
- Ron Scholes, an Honorary Member and friend of Alfred Wainwright, is to give a talk about his own long-distance walk, the Ravenber Way ..... more
The 10th Annual General Meeting of the Society
was held on Saturday 23rd March 2013 at Staveley Village Hall. Full details are available here ..... more
Kendal Mountain Rescue HQ visit
- after the AGM in Staveley a visit was organised to Kendal MRT HQ by David Johnson. Full details can be found here
The Wainwright Memorial Toposcope
- a new memorial to Alfred Wainwright is soon to be set upon the hills above Blackburn; the town where he was born and spent his first 34 years ..... more
Walking guide's new book puts Wainwright back on the map
- Nick Burton spent a year putting together Wainwright’s Way, a complete guide covering a 10-day, 126-mile long route, and including illustrations by AW himself ..... more
New Society Clothing range for 2013
- we have udated the clothing range that we had last year and the new range will all have the Society logo embroidered. To see more details click here
Wainwright Society member Andy Beck is nearing the end of a five-year painting marathon
. He is painting a watercolour version of every single sketch in Alfred Wainwright's seven Pictorial Guides to the Lakeland Fells. He now has about 60 ......... more
The Wainwright Photographic Competition 2012
has now been judged by Derry Brabbs. The winning photos and all 104 entries can be viewed by clicking here
The 75th Anniversary
of Alfred Wainwright’s Pennine Journey is being celebrated with a walk from Settle Station. For more information visit the Pennine Journey
The 2013 Society AGM
was held at Staveley Village Hall on Saturday 23rd March ..... more
Nuclear Waste Disposal in West Cumbria
- read The Society’s statement about the possible siting of a Nuclear Waste Repository in West Cumbria read more
An evening with Alfred Wainwright
- Society founder, John Burland, will be presenting his presentation throughout 2013 taking the audience on a journey through AW's life from upbringing in Blackburn, through his life-changing visit to the Lake District in 1930 and then his move to Kendal in 1940 and the fifteen years spent writing the Pictorial Guides. Click here
for further details .....
60-50-40 Challenge Book
The ’60-50-40 Challenge’ 2012 Book is now published and this year it includes reports and photographs from the participants as well as quotes from corresponding walks in AW’s books.
This is a limited edition of 200 copies only; for more details click here
Waymarking the Coast to Coast Walk - The Society is delighted to announce that permission has been granted to waymark the route of Wainwright’s Coast to Coast Walk. The agreement follows discussions with all the local authorities that lie along the route of this iconic long-distance walk. Click here for more information
The Wainwright Society secures Wainwright’s notebook for the Archive -
the Society is very pleased to report that a notebook, containing detailed notes for Wainwright’s first Pictorial Guide has been secured for the Cumbria Archive Centre. For more information click here .....
The Wainwright Society on Facebook - The Wainwright Society now has its own Facebook page. To get the latest updates click the Like button on the page. Find us at: www.facebook.com/thewainwrightsociety .....
The Lakeland Sketchbook Project - the five volumes of Lakeland Sketchbooks surely constitute one of the finest achievements of Alfred Wainwright as an artist. In this new project the aim of the Society is to celebrate AW’s fine artistic achievement, and to create a contemporary record of the 400 scenes that he drew with such a fine touch .....
Pennine Journey Supporters Club after much consideration, the Wainwright Society Management Committee has agreed to pass over the role of ‘Responsible Organisation’ for the Pennine Journey long distance footpath to the Pennine Journey Supporters Club more info can be found by clicking here .....
Wainwright archive to return to Kendal after a successful bid by Cumbria County Council .....
214 Completers Badges are now available. This is a special badge, available only to Society Members who are on the 214 Completers list. For details of how to obtain your badge click here
Your Map of Memories along the Coast to Coast
This is a hand painted map with sketches drawn by Colin Antwis of Fieldsman Trails for people who have walked the Coast to Coast route. You can include 12 images of your own favourite places on the route. We have arranged a Member Discount with Colin so for full details click here ......
How to Stay Safe and Enjoy the Fells - LDSAMR have released a safety leaflet intended to help people make the right safety choices before going into the hills .......