Since 2003, the Society has run a Photographic Competition for members to put forward their photos. The entries are judged by Derry Brabbs, the photographer closely associated with AW, and we would like to thank Derry for again taking the time to judge the competition.
The 2016 Society Photographic Competition Rules
The format for the Society Photographic Competition will be the same as last year: two classes, a Themed Class and an Open Class. Derry Brabbs is donating a signed, framed landscape print for the ‘Best in Show’.
The Photographic Competition rules are as follows:
- There will be two classes within the competition: an Open Class and a Themed Class. The subject of the theme for 2016 will be: Limestone Country (Note: Photographs in the Themed Class should be taken in the limestone area of the Yorkshire dales as described by AW in his book, Walks in Limestone Country)
- Photographs should only be submitted in digital format
- The location of photographs should be in areas that Wainwright is associated with e.g. Lake District, Dales, Howgills, Pennines, Scotland (Highlands & Islands) etc.
- Members can submit two photographs for each class entered with name, membership number and title of photograph
- Entries to be submitted by Sunday 15th January 2017
- Photographs should be emailed to: email@example.com. A confirmation of receipt will be emailed but members should follow up if no confirmation is received within a week.
- Prizes to be awarded as follows:
Class winners: (The Open Class and Themed Class) Winner’s own photograph will be framed + certificate awarded.
A signed, framed landscape print by Derry Brabbs will be awarded to the Best in Show i.e. one of these two.
Runners-up: Certificates only
All entries will be judged by Derry Brabbs
Highly commended: (if any) Certificate
The 2015 Society Photographic Competition
Thirty-nine Society members submitted a total of 117 images for the 2015 Photographic Competition , which was, once again, judged by photographer, Derry Brabbs. There were two classes, a Themed Class (On reaching the summit …) and an Open Class. From the winner of each class, Derry selected a photograph that was judged: Best in Show.
The winning photos are below and to view all of the entries plus read Derry's comments on the winning photos click here
Winner: Ed Hamblett Member 2864 Derwentwater
This is a very strong composition laden with atmosphere. The strong silhouette of the gate and fence leading down into the heart of the image take the viewer’s eye up to the line of fells on the horizon. The clouds are very strong and their reflections on the water combine to make a strikingly graphic image.
Winner: Ed Hamblett Member 2864
Themed Class: On Reaching the Summit
Winner: Niels Rasmussen Member 2181 The summit of Sallows
This is an outstanding photograph laden with atmosphere and one can almost smell the cold just looking at it. The undulating remnant of stone wall has been perfectly employed as a composition tool and the silhouetted walker and dog are perfectly placed within the frame. However, it is the fabulous blue wintry sky with streaked cloud formations that really makes the image stand out and really does back my insistent mantra that skies really do matter in landscape photography.
Winner: Niels Rasmussen Member 2181
See the below links for previous Photographic Competition results
Results for 2015
Results for 2014
Results for 2013
Results for 2013
Results for 2012
Results for 2011
Results for 2010
Results for 2009
Results for 2008
Results for 2007
Results for 2006
Results for 2005
Results for 2004
Results for 2003